11.17.2009

Broken Tongue Foods


A few years ago, I made it a point to expand my palate. I figured there were too many tastes in the world to dwell for long on chicken nuggets and sweet and sour.

Between a mother who loves spicy food, some time in France, spices I can't really pronounce, and the then diminishing taste buds of a smoker (I quit)... I began to need sharper and stronger tastes.
Here is a list of some of my new favorite treats:

Sardines.
Dry Gin Martinis.
Black Licorice.
Scotch.
Apple Cider Vinegar.
Sour Beers.
Chevre.
Honey.
Rye bread.
Sourdough bread.
Mussels in wine sauce.
Wine.
Fresh water eel.
Kale.
Ethiopian food.
Thai food with too much hot sauce.
Cardamom.
Salted cod.
Perchauds bitters with tonic water and a twist of lime.
Kombucha.
Fresh ginger.
Yogurt.
Tapatio.
Pho.
Sazeracs.
Manhattans.
Sours.
Cigarettes (not a normal treat, but I do indulge every few weeks)
Old Fashioneds.
Flaming Hot Cheetos.
Ramen.

Friends and coworkers tell me I have the diet of a WWII Veteran. I'm really just a marshmallow on the inside.

What are some of your favorites?


1 comment:

Lindsey Lu said...

During WWII sugar was not easily available. Your diet now is understandably compared to a veteran of WWII because it's lacking in sugar which is what probably deadened your taste buds in the first place. Training yourself to like a lot of this is a good thing because it's better for you as well as better for your teeth and diabetic aptitude.

Keep up the good work and dry gin martinis FTW!

Ads