7.26.2008

SHARK WEEK! 7/27-8/2!!!!


That's right ladies and gentlemen. Tomorrow starts the 21st annual Shark Week on the Discovery Channel. If you aren't familiar with Shark Week, go ahead and skim the wikipedia article here.

Shark week is a fun time of the year for me, and it should be for you too. The Discovery Channel dedicates a week of its programming every year to sharks. Don't be confused though, they host shows ABOUT sharks... not FOR sharks. Shark week is a milestone for summer. I think it's a great way to break in the last month of summer vacation.

Invite friends over. Turn on the tele. Fire up the grill. Wear those sandals. Drink that beer. Watch that shark.

My girlfriend and I chatted about it a few weeks ago and we started brainstorming plans. I encourage all of you to make up your own plans or to expand on ours. Some ideas we came up with were making construction paper shark hats, a Long Beach Aquarium visit, chumming the swim zones with rotten squid (my idea), fishing with dynamite (again, my idea), etc. We only faced one speed bump when we realized neither of us get the discovery channel. This kink will be worked out shortly. Stay tuned.

The discovery channel set up a pretty nice website for their shark stuff though. Check it out here for info on programming and fun links. Check it out here so you can plan your day:

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/sharkweek/sharkweek.html

Luckily, it isn't like Coachella where you have to sacrifice one great act to catch another. These are all awesome shark shows on the same great stage. All you need is sunflower seeds, diet coke, and a sofa. The website features links to news articles about sharks, info about sharks, everything. Finally, they one-upped wikipedia for results when you type "shark" into your search engine.

I was reading on the website about some of the shows that were going to be featured and I was totally stoked about the Mythbusters this week. They are going to build a 16-foot RoboShark. This has to be illegal. It's practically a weapon. I'm just hoping that it has lasers to take out the rogue U-Boats left in the English Channel (they're still there, trust me).
Aside from RoboShark, they claim that they will test whether or not dogs attract sharks. Hm.
How do they plan on testing this? I don't like the sound of this one bit. Dogs are not supposed to be tested as sharkbait.

In order to compensate for its cruelty to dogs, the Discovery Channel also posted links to its new ocean conservation blog which is full of information anybody that wants to help out sharks! I encourage you to check this out too because it is our duty as responsible citizens of Earth. More importantly, sharks will eat you if you don't. FACT.

Alright guys, I challenge you to take August into your own hands and have an amazing Shark Week. Bond with friends, watch Jaws, learn about sharks, go to the beach, get eaten, and have a blast. I'll keep you guys updated with my activities, and feel free to contact me to invite me along too!

-jc del barco ii

sharkfan/sharkbait/nerd

No comments:

Ads